Choosing the Right Dell Computer Keyboard
Dell was founded in 1984 and has since gone on to produce multiple computers and digital accessories. They sell multiple keyboards that you can use wirelessly for everyday typing and gaming with your desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.What kinds of keyboards are available?
Keyboards come in various sizes and with numerous features, such as having extra keys for gaming or reinforced keys to allow for heavy-duty use. Here are a few of the units available for purchase:
- Wired keyboard: These are connected to your desktop or device via a USB cable. They are considered both conventional and reliable.
- Wireless keyboard: These units do not require any wires and usually connect to your computer via Bluetooth. Batteries are often required, although some units can be charged.
- Gaming keyboard: These are often made with special buttons for setting additional commands. They can also be used for conventional tasks like work or regular typing.
- Device keyboard: This was made to work with tablets and smartphones but can also be used with desktops and laptops. There is a slot in the back of the unit to hold your device as you type.
These units come in three different sizes. Choosing the right one depends on what keys you need and how much size you have available. A standard or full-size unit comes with arrow keys and a number pad. An 80% unit, also known as a TenKeyLess (TKL) unit, is somewhat smaller and doesnt have the number pad. There is also the compact unit that does not have either the number pad or arrow keys.What additional software is needed for keyboards?
If your computer is routinely updated, then you may not need any additional software with the keyboard. There are some exceptions to this. Gaming units may require some type of software that is packed with the unit, especially if they use additional commands or have a backlight. Some gaming units may only function with Windows OS, whereas most other units work with Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and any other operating system. The most common additional software is a driver to help the unit integrate with your device. This should download automatically once the unit is connected to your device.What are the different keys from which to choose?
There are three different types of keys to choose from. They make the Dell unit slightly different in height and sound:
- Membrane: These are conventional, as they do not create much noise and have a medium profile.
- Scissor-switch: These use a smaller membrane and have a switch shaped like a scissor. This creates a low profile and is commonly used with laptops.
- Mechanical switch: These keys are heavy, have a high profile, and they create a loud click when pushed.