A Quick Guide to Lightning to HDMI Adapters
If you use Apple products made after 2012, you're probably familiar with the Lightning connector. This computer bus connects iPads, iPhones, and other Apple mobile devices to chargers, laptops, and more. If you want to connect your device to an HDMI port, you need a Lightning to HDMI adapter.What is the lightning power connector?
This Apple-designed power connector is relatively compact, using 8 pins rather than its predecessor's 30 pins. Unlike most similarly sized connectors, this 8-pin connector is reversible; it can be inserted into devices face up or face down. This connector carries a digital signal, and you need an adapter to convert the signal for use with other interfaces.What is an HDMI connector?
HDMI, which stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface, is used to transmit uncompressed video and audio data. HDMI technology is often supported by Blu-ray players, digital cameras, video projectors, digital televisions, PCs, laptops, tablets, and gaming consoles.What is the purpose of a Lightning to HDMI adapter?
Lightning to HDMI cables serve a number of purposes for Apple users. These purposes include:
- Device mirroring: When you use an adapter cable to connect an Apple device to an HDMI-equipped TV or screen, you can mirror your device's display screen on the larger screen. You can view photos, apps, presentations, websites, and all your favorite content.
- 1080p HD: Thanks to the pixel clock rate of the HDMI interface, you can use these adapters to view videos in 1080p HD. You can mirror your personal videos, or you can stream your favorite Netflix shows in high-def quality.
- Plug and play: With these cables, you don't need extra apps to connect your phone to your TV.
- Travel-ready: These adapters are usually compact and lightweight, making them easy to transport for office presentations or movie night at a friend's house.
These devices have an adapter unit, which has two female connections, and a cable, which extends from the adapter unit. Most of these adapters have the following configuration:
- Connection 1: The first connection is a female Apple Lightning connector, used to connect the adapter unit to a power source.
- Connection 2: The second connection is a female HDMI connector, used to connect the adapter unit to the HDMI port on a TV, projector, or laptop.
- Connection 3: A male Lightning connector extends from the unit. You plug it into the Apple device to begin the mirroring process.