If you have a cat at home, youve likely already tried a few different types of cat litter. There are several different options out there for different types of cats and their varying needs. Different litter boxes may also determine what type of litter youll need.What types of cat litter are there?
Cat litters are made from a number of different materials and have many different features. Some examples include:
- Clay Litter - Different types of clay are used to make litter, and you can find both clumping and non-clumping forms.
- Grass Litter - Cat litter made from grass is biodegradable and clumps.
- Silica Gel - This type of litter is made from silica crystals. It is highly absorbent and has very little dust residue.
- Paper - Some litters are made from recycled paper, and these are dust-free. They come in pellets or granules.
- Nut Shells - Crushed walnut shells are used to make some litters. These are biodegradable and control odors.
- Corn and Wheat - Both of these types of litter are biodegradable and feature odor control.
- Pine - This type of litter is made from heat-treated recycled lumber scrap. It features a pine scent that helps to mask odors and comes in granules, pellets, or cobbles.
Generally, scooping urine clumps and feces from the litter box should be done twice a day. If you have multiple cats, it may be necessary to scoop even more frequently to keep the box clean.
In addition, the box should be completely emptied and cleaned at least once per month. However, for households with multiple cats, this may also need to be done more frequently, even up to once a week.
When cleaning the litter box, wash it in plain hot water. You may also use a natural, fragrance-free soap to help rid the litter box of odors.How much litter do you need to have?
Generally, the more cats you have in your household, the more litter boxes, and litter, youre going to need. Typically, youll want to have at least one litter box for each cat in the household plus one extra litter box.
When it comes to filling the litter boxes, its important to have just the right amount of litter. There needs to be enough to cover the waste in the box. However, having too much litter in the box can make cats feel unsteady and can lead to messes. Typically, youll want to have 2-3 inches of litter in the box.