Magnetic Gel and Shellac Polish
Magnetic gel and shellac polish is a trend that allows people to have a custom nail art design. Metal filings, usually iron, are present in the product. Holding or dragging a magnet above the nail as it dries creates a unique pattern for each manicure.What are some features of magnetic shellac and gel polish?
Gel and shellac manicures are known for being tough and wearing longer than traditional nail polishes. A gel manicure requires a UV light to set properly, but shellacs do not. The magnetic trend combines well with these long-wear nail polish styles. Some of their features are listed here:
- Long-lasting: When applied properly, gel manicures can last up to two weeks. Shellac polishes can last for up to a month.
- Magnetic: The metal shavings in the nail polish add a unique texture to a manicure. The patterns formed by using a magnet are also completely individual. The metal patterns are unique to each person creating them.
As with any manicure, magnetic shellac and gel polish can be removed with acetone nail polish remover.What colors and styles are magnetic nail polishes available in?
Magnetic versions are available in all the same colors and styles as standard shellac and gel polish.
- Colors: Common magnetic nail polish colors include reds, pinks, greens, and blues. Be aware that the metal filings in the product are often darker than the nail polish pigment itself.
- Styles: Solid colors, glitter, holographic, and metallic versions are available in magnetic versions.
Magnetic nail polish contains a magnet in the cap of the product. Here are the steps for getting the most out of it:
- Shake the bottle of nail polish to mix it well before applying.
- Apply two coats of the product.
- Hold the cap so that the magnet is above the nail you just finished painting. Do this for 10-15 seconds. Dont let the cap touch the wet nail as it will cause smudging.
- Metal filings will rise toward the magnet. This provides a textured look.
- Try holding the magnet from different angles to create new designs as you get more comfortable.
- Apply your gel or shellac nail polish top coat.
- Dry your nails under the UV light for a gel top coat.
The brands that make this product include both specialty companies and big names in cosmetics. The names of a few of the brands you can find are listed here: