How to Select Ham and Amateur Radio Transceivers
The world of HF amateur radio transceivers has evolved greatly since its early days, as updated models offer a variety of features that make using these transceivers seamless and uncomplicated. There are many reasons to use these types of Kenwood radios, ranging from emergency communication to law enforcement situations.
What Are Some Types of Radios?
When it comes to ham radios, you will find that there are multiple types to select from, and each type has its own benefits.
- A portable radio, also called a handheld radio, is the most mobile type of transceiver, as you can take these palm-sized options with you on the go. A handheld mobile radio may look small, but it still offers many of the same features that larger models do. They look similar to a walkie-talkie with an external antenna, though they do have a more limited range than larger models do.
- There are specific types of ham radios that are meant for in-vehicle use. These larger, two-way units may have a larger display screen and may also have additional features.
- A base station is the third type of ham radio transceiver. This is the command center for your ham radio, and it includes all the controls you need to adjust radios. You can also do things like send messages to everyone with a unit like a dispatch operator does with police personnel.
What Are the Differences in Band Types?
Shopping for a Kenwood transceiver means youll see many factors you must consider as you decide on the right radio for your purposes, and one of the considerations to make is the band type. What are the types, and what do they mean?
- Mono-band radios essentially only let you monitor one frequency at a time, which in this case is HF. A mono radio works fine for amateurs who have reliable coverage and who wont be using the radio for much long-term activity. Theyre also the most affordable style and are slightly limited in range.
- Dual-band means you can monitor two frequencies at the same time, giving you a bit more flexibility and some added options. You could also have a further reach and end up communicating with operators who are farther away.
- A tri-band model is the most expensive type, and this is because you have access to multiple frequencies, including HF, UHF, and VHF. You can also choose private ones when you want to have more programming options.
What Are Some Features of Radio Transceivers?
Ham radios have a wide variety of features that may make your decision-making process a bit more hassle-free, depending on which features are most important to you.
- Some mobile radios are equipped with convenient features like GPS. You can share your specific location by transmitting latitude and longitude directions.
- You can check weather conditions using your mobile radio.
- You can also purchase a model that offers a high-power output, such as 50 watts.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Kenwood.>