How to Choose and Setup an Electrostatic Speaker
Electrostatic speakers are good choices for your home entertainment system if you're sensitive to sound distortion. They are often tall and slim, but some models are small or have rectangular shapes. Some electrostatic speaker brands are Martin Logan, Bose, Sytech, and Magnepan, and many affordable options are available on eBay.Where should you setup electrostatic speakers?
While setting up these speakers in your entertainment system, keep in mind that half the sound exits through the front and the rest exits out of the back. You shouldn't box them in with an infinite baffle. Position the speakers around two to two and a half feet away from the wall. If they are too close to the wall, audio can be distorted. You don't need to worry about curtains or bookcases being near the speakers because these items assist with tuning. Ceilings and floors don't have an impact on the audio quality of these loudspeakers either.Can you increase the bass in an electrostatic speaker?
If you want to increase the bass, you can add a subwoofer to your system or choose an electrostatic speaker that comes with a subwoofer. You could even use two subwoofers with the electrostatic speaker. Some people like solely using the electrostatic speaker because they find its bass just right. You can find a variety of small and large electrostatic speakers on eBay, such as:
- Smalody Stats Soundbar - An electrostatic speaker for computers with a built-in subwoofer
- Martin Logan Motif Electrostatic Center - A thin, horizontal design for use with TVs
- Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV - Known for having powerful bass
- Martin Logan Quest Z Tower - Six feet tall electrostatic loudspeakers with internal subwoofers
Some designs are wireless. Examples of wireless speakers you can buy on eBay include:
- BenQ Trevolo S Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speakers - Small wireless speakers that come with 3D audio and duo modes, dual woofers, and dual amplifiers
- Xiaomi Rectangle Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - A TV speaker with a thin, sleek design that can be either wall-mounted or seat-mounted
- Sytech Monsterbeat Portable Wireless Speaker - Features a built-in rechargeable battery, recording capabilities, a karaoke function, and a remote control
Some speakers have an anthem room correction (ARC) feature. This function is useful if you're unable to find a good position for your speaker based on room acoustics. When you turn on ARC, it reduces and helps prevent distortion of sound. It can also improve bass and clarity. If you plan on choosing a portable speaker, ARC is an especially helpful feature. Speakers with anthem room correction are also suitable for use in bathrooms, kitchens, and other sound-reflective rooms.