Everything You Need to Know About Choosing Gimbal Head Camera Tripod Heads
Whether you are a professional photographer or an amateur, it helps to have the right type of head on your tripod. Gimbal heads allow your camera to rotate about a single axis for balanced movement of the camera, which is helpful when capturing images in the field. On eBay, you can find a variety of brands, features, and styles of new and used gimbal head camera tripods at a range of affordable prices.What are some features of a gimbal head camera tripod?
The features of a new or used gimbal style head for a camera tripod may include:
- 360 degree rotation: This allows you to track movements or take panoramic images.
- Quick release: This allows you to quickly remove your camera from the mounting plate on the tripod head.
- Pan handle: This allows for easy placement of the camera and rotation of the head.
- Level indicator: The head has an indicator that uses liquid and a bubble of air to show when it is level.
The gimbal style of tripod heads are designed to work with film, digital, and video cameras. Some of the gimbal heads for tripods are designed to be compatible with one type and size of the camera. Others are compatible with multiple models of cameras and have a universal mounting plate and clamps. Some of the camera brands that the gimble heads are compatible with include Fuji Film, Sony, Nikon, and Arca-Swiss.What materials are gimbal head camera tripods made out of?
The gimbal heads for tripods are made out of materials including:
- Aluminum: This lightweight material makes the head easy to carry in a camera bag.
- Carbon fiber: This material offers enhanced strength for rugged conditions and large cameras and lenses.
- Steel: This material offers durability for a variety of weather conditions and strength for heavy cameras and lenses.
- Plastic: The knobs and grips may be made of plastic.
When you are shopping on eBay for a gimbal head for a tripod, consider the following:
- Brand: Some of the options include Acratech, ProMaster, Vidpro, and Wimberly.
- Color: Select from silver, gray, and black.
- Size: The options range from 3 inches to 8 inches wide by 6 inches to 12 inches long by 3 inches to 6 inches deep.
- Type: Choose a motorized or non-motorized tripod head.
- Condition: There are new, used, and manufacturers refurbished options available.