C Type Single Use Batteries
The size of the C battery has been standardized since the 1920s. The nominal voltage of a C-type battery is 1.5 volts. Energizer, Energizer Max, Duracell, Panasonic, and Rayovac are some well-known brands of C-size batteries.What do you use C batteries for?
A standard size of dry cell battery, the C-type battery is used in low- to medium-drain applications such as flashlights, toys, clocks, and musical instruments. Other items that use C-type batteries include camping or emergency lanterns, LED candles with timers, some wall clocks, and battery-operated air mattress inflators.What are the different types of C batteries?
There are four different types of C batteries based on whats inside them: zinc carbon, zinc chloride, alkaline, and single-use lithium.
- Zinc carbon: This type of battery can hold up to 3,800 mAh. This is the oldest type of battery, having been around for more than 100 years. They are relatively low in energy. Use them in devices with a low drain, such as a wall clock.
- Zinc chloride: You may see these referred to as heavy duty or even super heavy duty. This refers to the ZnCl batterys greater power than its predecessor, the ZnC battery.
- Alkaline: These batteries have a longer shelf life than other varieties of C-type battery, and they deliver more energy for a given size. C-type alkaline batteries can contain up to 8,000 mAh. Alkaline batteries are a sound choice for mainstream devices in regular use that have a low to moderately high power drain. They deliver more juice than other types of C cell, and they have a longer shelf life. However, alkaline cells are not suitable for use in devices with a high power drain.
- Single-use lithium: Lithium batteries are well-suited for high-drain applications such as digital cameras.
A cylindrical alkaline battery will last for 5 to 10 years at room temperature, while a similarly-sized zinc battery will keep going for between 3 and 5 years.How do you make a C-type battery last longer?
There are a number of things you can do to prolong the life of a battery.
- Remove a battery from a device if it is not going to be used for a long time.
- Store alkaline batteries in a cool, dry place.
- Storing alkaline batteries in a fridge will extend their life by 5%, especially if you live in a hot climate. Warm your alkaline batteries to room temperature before using.