No woman is fully dressed for a night on the town or a glittering event without an evening bag. It can be a clutch made of the finest leather or a little pouch bag dazzling with sequins and rhinestones. There’s an evening bag to fit any style of dress.
Are there different styles of evening bags?
What types of evening bags are there?
- Clutches: These bags usually don’t have straps. If they do have straps, they are usually detachable, but clutches are usually carried in your hand. Some are attractively pleated.
- Baguettes: These bags are a bit larger than clutches and, as the name suggests, are usually long and narrow like the French bread loaf.
- Wristlets: Wristlets are about the size and shape of a clutch, but they have a strap that lets you wear it around your wrist. The strap is detachable, and the inside of this evening bag contains hidden, zippered compartments.
- Minaudieres: These are small cases that have often ornate metal clasps. These evening bags often have hard bodies and richly ornamented with beads, sequins, rhinestones and crystal.
- Handbag wallets: Handbag wallets are wristlets that have compartments for money, credit cards and other necessities.
- Drawstring bags: Some of these bags have an outer, crocheted part and a lining of solid fabric while others are beaded.
- Dolly bags: These are also drawstring bags, but they’re carried by bridesmaids in a wedding. They can be pure white and plain or beautifully embroidered with cheerful colors.
- Other bags: Aside from those mentioned above, it’s also easy to find bags like sweet, tiny purses carried by flower girls in weddings, unusually shaped bags that look like objects such as hearts and animals, and bags with accoutrements like mirrors and phone cases.
What materials are evening bags made of?
Evening bags can be made from several different materials, such as:
- Faux leather
- Faux snakeskin
What are evening bags decorated with?
- Multi-colored sequins
- Beaded fringe
- Fabric flowers
What kinds of closures can you find on evening bags?
- Magnetic: Magnetic clasps are easy to quickly open and close.
- Zips:Zippers are secure enough to hold everything in your bag inside, and they add an accent to the décor of the bag itself.
- Clasps: Many clasps are in interesting shapes and are ornamented with beadwork and rhinestones. Tiny skulls are a motif on some evening bags and clasps. Others have clasps in the shape of peacocks.
What colors can you choose for your evening bag?
What types of straps can you find on evening bags?
The straps you find on evening bags will generally be made from:
- the same fabric as the evening bag,
- chains made of silver or other metal,
- decorative beads,
- or plastic.