How to Find the Right Antique Ceramic and Porcelain Mugs and Tankards
Dinnerware really is a form of art for the home. So, its no surprise that even in this day and age of cheap and cheerful home wares, antique ceramic mugs and porcelain decor items retain their appeal. While you may not be familiar with the term tankard, this word simply refers to a large drinking vessel with a single handle. These pieces are available in a variety of materials, such as ceramic, silver, pewter and glass. Regardless of the particular type of mug or tankard youre looking for, when shopping on eBay, there are a variety of beautiful pieces to pick from.
What are the Advantages of Antique Ceramic and Porcelain Mugs?
- Customize Your Search: One of the key advantages to buying antique ceramic mugs is that you can easily find a piece that will appeal to the casual tea drinker and serious antique collector alike. Shopping online also makes it easy to customize your search, especially when compared to shopping at antique markets. For example, when browsing online, you can tailor your search to a custom color of tea mug, such as white or yellow.
- Style and Charm: It isnt difficult to find affordable tea cups and coffee cups, but these items can lack individuality. This is never a concern when purchasing items from an antique collection of mugs.
What Should You Remember When Buying an Antique Mug as a Gift?
- Personalize Your Selection: There are a few different factors to keep in mind when purchasing antique ceramics and dinnerware for loved ones. Ensure your selection is personal; for example, consider if your loved one has a particular favorite animal or decorative style (such as art deco).
- Match Their Style: If the gift recipient already owns antique pieces, consider selecting an item that will fit in well with their existing collection aesthetic. You might even be able to pick up a hand-painted item from their favorite line of antique drinkware.
How Should You Care for Antique Porcelain Dinnerware and Fine Ceramics?
- Wash With Care: Due to its age, antique pottery can be fragile. So, its helpful to keep in mind a few special care tips. Always hand wash antique china to prevent breakage. Youll also want to make sure that you place a towel or some other protective surface at the bottom of your sink, as extra protection if you accidentally drop items.
- Hang Cups: You can keep antique cups out of harms way by hanging them hooks or placing protective sheets between cups, if storing them in a cupboard.
- Avoid Lemon-Scented Detergent: While lemon-scented dishwasher detergent is a kitchen staple, avoid this when cleaning your antique kitchen ware as it can cause damage.