What to Look for in an ASUS Monitor
ASUS is a Taiwan-based technology company that produces monitors and computer parts for every segment of the market. Both average consumers and high-end users can find a monitor that's appropriate for them. Most flatscreen ASUS monitors come with USB ports, an HDMI port, and a monitor stand, while others have advanced features.What are some of the most important attributes of a monitor?
The quality of the monitor is determined by a few important specs.
- Resolution - Resolution measures the total number of pixels. This is a good way to understand the amount of details on the screen.
- Response Time - This measures the time it takes for the monitor to change from one color to another. If the response time is not fast enough to update the colors on screen, then it could result in a blurry image. Average consumers don’t need to worry too much about this, but gamers may benefit from a response time of five milliseconds or less.
- Refresh Rate - This is literally the number of times the image refreshes every second. A refresh rate of 60 Hz is good enough for most consumers. If you’re a gamer and your computer is capable of very high frame rates, then you may want a monitor with a correspondingly higher refresh rate.
- Contrast - This is the difference between the darkest and lightest colors.
The liquid crystal display, or LCD, has been the dominant technology for most of the 21st century. There are several types of LCDs to choose from, each with their own specific strengths and weaknesses. These are the most common types:
- Twisted Nematic - TN technology is the most common type of LCD panel on the market. Some of the advantages of a TN panel include a fast refresh rate and cheaper cost. The downside of this technology is the lower viewing angle. Image quality begins to degrade when viewed from the top or sides.
- In-Plane Switching - IPS panels were created to improve the viewing angles and color accuracy of the TN panels. The refresh rate has traditionally been an area of weakness for the IPS panel, but great strides have been made to ameliorate this problem. Some IPS panels can achieve a refresh rate of at least 144 Hz.
- Vertical Alignment - VA panels exhibit good viewing angles and high contrast between dark and light colors. Response time is generally a weakness, however.
Republic of Gamers is the main brand of ASUS gaming products. These monitors tend to have high-end specs and gaming-specific features. One of the most common features is adaptive refresh rate, which eliminates screen tearing and other visual disturbances that can arise from differences between the monitor and computer.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by ASUS.