What to Consider When Looking for Lithium Rechargeable 3.7-Volt Batteries
A rechargeable battery is a special type of battery that can be charged and used to power electronic devices multiple times. Even though they can be used numerous times, rechargeable batteries do have a limited life span. A properly-operating rechargeable battery should endure 500 to 1000 cycles. One cycle is considered a full charge followed by a full discharge.
Rechargeable batteries come in all sizes and shapes. For example, a flat top battery is shaped different than a button top battery. Some models are called high capacity because they can store extra power and operate your devices longer.
What Types Of Rechargeable Batteries Are There?
There are several different battery types that can be charged and used multiple times.
- Lithium Ion (Li-ion) - Li-ion batteries have a life span of 500 to 1000 cycles and do not require periodic recharges and discharges, which makes lithium the battery of choice for smart phones.
- Lithium Ion Polymer (Li-ion polymer) - similar in many ways to Li-ion and also most widely used in mobile phones, the Li-polymer battery has a much slimmer design, but it delivers a lower charge-discharge cycle count.
- Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) - these batteries can endure over 1000 charge-discharge cycles with proper care. They charge fast and can power such devices as two-way radios and power tools for a long time.
- Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) - used in mobile phones and laptops, these batteries are less durable than NiCd batteries. Unlike NiCd however, they contain only environmentally-friendly, non-toxic metals.
What Is The Voltage Of A Lithium Rechargeable Battery?
- Voltage is the strength of the electrical power of the battery. Battery voltage can range from 1.5 V (AA Alkaline batteries) to 12 V in a car battery, and each device requires a battery with specific voltage.
- Li-ion and Li-ion polymer battery voltage can range from 3.7 V to 4.2 V, whereas rechargeable NiCd and NiMH have voltage of 1.2 V.
What Accessories May I Need For My Lithium Batteries?
- Charger - a rechargeable Li-ion battery is only useful if you have a charger for it. Battery chargers are specific to the type, size, and voltage of the battery and it is important to ensure you are using the correct charger in order to avoid damage to your Lithium Ion charge batteries.
- Storage case - if you have a large number of rechargeable batteries in rotation, you may want to consider some type of storage solution. Cases can be helpful in protecting the batteries and separating charged versus discharged units.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by the brands mentioned above.